The oldest building around here was, without doubt, the ”Blumenthaler Krug.” From 1568 records, we gather that the Krug was four Fach (old German measurement, the equivalent of about 40 feet) long and the farmstead had two horses and two cows. The then owner was Albert Kulken, who sold it to Johannes Barckhorn. The house became elongated by one Fach (roughly 10 feet) and a second cowshed had been built. After Heinrich Meierdirks, Lüder Koch appears to be the new owner. In the year of 1720, we can find Klaus Gloistein as hissuccessor. In 1902, a certain Lüder Gleistein sold inn and farmstead to Heinrich Ständer. Here, the person who gave the place its name through decades, appears for the first time.
Heinrich Ständer came from county Eichsfeld and was trained as a waiter. On his way to Blumenthal, he first worked for the wool combing plant. In addition to that, he also stoodin as a waiter in the Ebberfeld inn, later Hotel zur Glocke, Kapitän-Dallmann-Straße. In the year 1900, Gloistein hires him as a waiter in the “Blumenthaler Krug.” The Krug was connected to the post office. The owner, Gloistein, was not only publican and farmer, but also the postmaster. At each evening, a two-horse stage coach departed from the innhouse. It had room for six persons. The postal route covered Meyenburg and Uthlede-at the nextmorning, the coach returned with a lively horn signal from the postilion. Later on, there was a permanent bus connection between Blumenthal, Meyenburg and Uthlede.
The publican Heinrich Ständer had great plans for rebuilding. The thatched roof was to be replaced by a“hard cover,” the Krug alehouse enlarged and improved. The reconstruction occupied the minds of the public and the administration. The mayor raised objections; the front part of the house had to be taken down again. The planned building of bay windows was objected to by District Administrator Berthold, who governed with Prussian strictness. He argued that such windows did not belong into the Lower Saxon landscape; the old well in front of the house became flattened by the building works. The old German house eventually became a representative farmer’s house that added character to the town entrance over decades. When there was a topping-out, the new owner was not ungenerous and the celebration almost became a folk festival, which was provided with all it needed by the inn-house, via the old cowshed. Many other publicans came and went as proprietors, until the heritage-protected building fell victim to arson.
A tragic ending for the historical building --- alas!
Source: Rainer Steinbach