Blumenthal had independent rights of jurisdiction since 1436, when the Amt Blomendal took up its administrative activity and, according to then-existing custom, legal offices were practiced, by judicial officers trained in law (Drosten).
This local administrative seat passed to Bremen after a pledge. In 1654, it had to be ceded, as well as the Neuenkirchen one, to Sweden, but belonged still into Bremen jurisdiction. With the Second Settlement of Stade, the Blumenthal administrative seat passed to the Electorate of Hanover, which was incorporated into Prussia after the German War of 1866 between Prussia and Austria and its allies. Thistime, the right of jurisdiction followed, even though the right of patronage remained with the Bremen city council.
In 1852, administration and jurisdiction in Blumenthal were separated and made organizationally independent. The court in Blumenthal continued usingits site, Haus Blomendal, jointly, regardless of the organizational separation. The local court had a lay judges’ courtroom, a cashdesk and several other workrooms. A prison used to be In the place of the modern-day main building of the local court of Blumenthal. Increased population and industrialization in the Lower Weser region demanded the construction of a separate court house. It was in augurated in 1899 and has, by now, been extended several times.
In 1939, the parishes of Grohn, Schönebeck, Aumund, Blumenthal and Farge, of county Osterholz, were separated from Prussia and incorporated into the City of Bremenarea. The former court in Lesum was dissolved and the Blumenthal Court became a Bremen local court again, at January 1st, 1943. By order of American military government from June21th, 1945, the local court of Blumenthal resumed its offices, which had been interrupted by the end of the war. At first, there was some discord between British and American occupying forces regarding the question if the local court should be incorporated into the British (which became the State of Lower Saxony) or in the American (which later formed the Stateof Free Hanseatic town of Bremen) zone of occupation.
Eventually, the Head of the Legal Division of British Headquarters decreed that, according to an agreement from December10th, 1945, the OLG area of Hamburg consisted of the District Court of Bremen, Bremen Local Court, Wesermünde Local Court, Blumenthal Local Court and the Local Court of Bremerhaven. From these members, the judicial district of Bremen came into being, after the Higher Local Court Office was created. Proposals of the Bremen Senate to close downthe Bremen-Blumenthal local court for cost reasons caused massive protests in Bremen-Nord. A functional guarantee was uttered, out of political reasons. The local exchange sector Burglesum was removed from the competence of Bremen Local Court and incorporated into the competence of Blumenthal to make the local court economically more viable, at January 1st, 1989. Gebäude The heritage-protected complex of buildings consists of the main building, the former court jail and the former official mansions. It had been built from 1896 to 1899, extended in 1913/14. The buildings adopted new, reformatory trends in architecture, with are course on local building traditions.
The current main building of the local court had been inaugurated on February 11th, 1899. It had been erected with financial contribution of the municipalities of Blumenthal, Rönnebeck and Lüssum, as well as private funding from the Blumenthal builder Lohmüller for a sum of 7.250 marks, re-using the fundaments of the former court jail of Blumenthal local court. At the beginning of World War One, the premises proved as insufficient. For this reason, a newly constructed jail had been erected at the back of the local court building and the rooms within the building, formerly used as a courtjail, had been reconstructed for use of the jurisdiction. In 1968, living quarters adjacent to the main building, originally containing the judge’s official mansions, were redesigned intoan outbuilding of the court (today Haus B). Since the court jail situated behind the courtbuilding was hardly used anymore, it became reconstructed for the local court area ledger office.
The inauguration took place after a three-year reconstruction period. On August 5th, 2010, the building complex of the Blumenthal Local Court became listed as a historically-protected ensemble.
In 1933, the court jail, which had been used simultaneously as a police prison forthe administrative district of Blumenthal was converted to a SA “protective custody” camp. The legal basis for the takeover of the court jail by the SA was the decree of emergency which turned the SA into provisional police forces.
On March 12th, 1933, already 30 Communist Party officials were detained in this “protective custody“ camp. At the end of March 1933, already 90 representatives of the workers‘movement were imprisoned there (87 communists and three Social Democrats) – among them the later head of the Registry Office Wilhelm Ahrens (1898-1974) and Willy Dehnkamp (1903-1985).
At the main building of the local court, a plaque memorizes the more than hundred political opponents of the NS regime who have been detained here in 1933/34 and were put then on their way to prisons and concentration camps.
On October 13th 2008, the advisory board of the Blumenthal registry office decided on mounting another plaque as a memorial for Margarete Göhner, who had been murdered in the court jail in December 1936.