• E-Mail Adresse


Burg Blomendal

Around the year 1250, castle buildings in Blumenthal already had been built but they had to be taken down again, because of permanent disputes with Bremen, in the year 1305.

Some decades later, in 1354, the current castle was constructed between small rivers Aue and Beke. Historians assume that the village of Blumenthal came into being by the selling of estate.

From 1436 on, Blumenthal belonged to Bremen, soon to become Swedish, subsequently Danish and, eventually, together with the city of Bremen under Hanoverian rule. Through the Settlement of Stade in 1741, Bremen had to hand over the administrative powers over the village entirely to Hanover.

Afterwards, the French came and in 1866 the Prussians invaded. In the year of 1884, the Haus Blomendal was made the site of the first Prussian communal court. After 1939, in the aftermath of the administrative-territorial reform, Blumenthal became a town part of Bremen yet again. Like the tolling of the bell in the sunken city of Vineta, or the ghosts on Castle Eltz, every two years the robber barons will return to the castle to see how things are and to throw a feast for their subjects, regardless of their provenience and rank, -the Castle Festival. This tradition has been revivedand in the year of 2001, already the tenth Castle Festival could be taking place. Peoplemarch along the Blumenthal streets, accompanied by music and dancing, up to the castleyard, which will then be home to a two-day long, opulent party. Among other things, “DeBlomendaler“ will be performing the Weavers’ dance, which can be traced back to the year of 1830. The presence of well-to-do guests of honour will not be discouraged, for the castle has a high demand for means supporting its maintenance.

Finally, we would also like to mention that the former Bremen mayor, Hans Koschnick, was made the first present-dayknight of Blumenthal, succeeded by Henning Scherf in 1997.

Source: Rainer Steinbach


vege.net GmbH Kontakt | Datenschutz | Impressum